These were adapted from a recipe for “Black Bottom Cupcakes” in an old, 1950’s Grange cookbook I inherited. I saw the existing flavors and thought it would be a great way to incorporate the flavors of a cannoli.
The bottoms are rich and fudgy, and the tops are like cheesecake. The top also hides a treasure trove of chocolate chips!
These are similar to cream cheese brownies in concept, but the cake is much fluffier and they’re a great treat. I don’t even miss frosting, and normally that’s the whole point of a cupcake for me.
- 3 Cups Gluten Free Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar + 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Egg
- 1 8oz Package Cream Cheese
- 1/4 Cup White Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 Cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/3 Cup Baking Cocoa
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and line your cupcake tin with paper liners. Cream together Cream Cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, egg, and all chocolate chips. Set this aside.
- Mix all other ingredients together, blending until batter is relatively lump free. Pour this batter into the liners by the 1/4 cup full. Top each cup with a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for 22 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, and store in the fridge.