Sometimes you just need to make an easy dinner that doesn’t taste easy. I make no secret of my love of the crock-pot, and it is a great way to get dinner on the table when you know you have a long day ahead of you, one that can’t involve watching your food in an oven or on the stove.
This is SO easy. And it’s fall-off-the-bone delicious! The flavors are classic, and it can be used in so many ways it’s a dream for leftovers.
The herbs add a delicate crust, and the lemon keeps the chicken tender and bright. This is one of my favorites for weekend or weekday dinners when you want an abundance of comfort food, but you want it to basically make itself. When it’s all done cooking and you take the lid off, you’re hit with this wonderful lemony-chicken aroma, and dinner is done. #swoon
- Whole Chicken (any size beyond 2 lbs is fine, just make sure it fits in your crock pot!)
- 1 tsp. Sage
- 1 tsp. Rosemary
- 1 tsp. Dill
- 1 Fresh Lemon, halved
- Olive Oil
- Remove the skin from the chicken. If you leave it on, you’ll be fine but it will be a lot more fat to sift through and it can obscure the flavor of the lemon.
- Place the chicken in the crock pot and turn it on low.
- Drizzle the chicken with a tiny bit of Olive Oil. You only need about a tablespoon over the top, just to keep it from drying out. Rub it in a bit in circular motions. Sprinkle the herbs over the top and season with salt and pepper. Throw the lemon halves into the slow cooker and put the lid on.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
This is delicious served with simple pasta or rice.
Leftovers can be shredded since the chicken is so tender, which makes for endless possibilities.