The minute spring is in the air, I crave carrot cake. So essentially, you can thank the 70 degree weather we just had in our neck of the woods for these!
Carrot Cake is one of those things that’s great to make gluten free, because it’s a naturally very moist cake, and it stays that way regardless of what flour you use (unless you use all coconut flour, that’s a whole different story!) and even your leftovers won’t dry out.
These are packed with fruits, veggies and nuts, and the rich Cream Cheese Frosting adds a sweet, creamy finish.
If anyone needs me, I’ll be hiding out with a batch of these!
For the cupcakes:
- 2/3 Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 2/3 Cup Canola Oil (or melted Coconut Oil)
- 2 Cups Peeled & Finely Grated Carrots
- 2/3 Cup Chopped Pineapple
- 1/3 Cup Raisins
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 1/2 Cups Raw Coconut Sugar
- 2 Cups 1 for 1 Baking Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 4 Eggs
For the Cream Cheese Buttercream:
- 4 Tbsp. Salted Butter
- 8 oz. Plain Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2-3 Cups Confectioners Sugar
- Whole Walnuts to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together. Add in the oil and blend completely. Add eggs, one at a time and beat until no powder is visible.
- Incorporate all remaining ingredients. The batter will be loose, so don’t worry about that. Scoop by the 1/4 cup full into a lined cupcake tin.
- Bake for 22 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- For the cream cheese buttercream, cream the cream cheese and butter together until soft. Add vanilla extract and continue to beat. Add confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time, until desired consistency and sweetness is achieved.
- Spread the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and enjoy! I like to top them with a walnut for decor (and also to warn off anyone with a nut allergy!).
Pop these in the fridge when you’re done to keep the frosting safe and tasty.
These will last for 5-7 days in the fridge.
You can switch out the raisins for sultanas/golden raisins or cranberries if you like, and the nuts can also be removed depending on your preference.